Arrests made following shooting of Mount Vernon police officer, standoff

A 44-year-old man was arrested just after midnight Friday, Dec. 16, following the shooting of a Mount Vernon police officer Thursday night, Dec. 15. That officer remains in the hospital.

Two other suspects were taken into custody at the same time as the primary suspect. That primary suspect is known to law enforcement, and has a lengthy, violent criminal history.

All suspects were taken to the Skagit County Sheriff’s Office. UPDATED: Suspect Ernesto Rivas will be charged with attempted murder in shooting of Mount Vernon police officer.

The incident began at approximately 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15, when officers responded to a call of a subject who had been shot at a residence near the intersection of Fir Street and LaVenture Road. As officers investigated the scene, they were fired upon.

One officer was struck and transported to Skagit Valley Hospital. That officer was later transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he underwent surgery. He is a 30-plus-year veteran of the Mount Vernon Police Department.

The suspect who allegedly shot at officers barricaded himself in a residence near the intersection of Fir Street and LaVenture Road and continued to fire shots at officers on scene throughout the evening.

Officers from multiple agencies responded to the scene and closed roads in the immediate area.  Hostage negotiators spent several hours communicating with the suspect.

Mt. Vernon officer in ‘very critical’ condition

A 61-year-old Mount Vernon police officer is in critical condition after being shot in the back of the head Thursday night.

The officer was flown to Harborview Medical Center where he had surgery, but he was alert and spoke to medics, troopers said. He is in critical condition.
Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman Susan Gregg told reporters in a Friday morning news conference that the officer has been in critical condition since he arrived to the hospital on Thursday night.

Authorities reported that the officer was alert and conscious when he left the scene. Gregg said patients can leave a scene talking such as the officer did, but as the injury gets worse people can lose that consciousness.

Reporters asked if the officer would fully recover, but Gregg said the hospital does not speculate. She called the injury a “critical scenario.”

sourced – Sgt. Keith Leary – Washington State Patrol –
Susan Gregg – spokeswoman – Harborview Medical Center


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.