The question of what on Earth happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 may have to be answered by future generations, if anybody: The search being carried out by American company Ocean Infinity has ended after searching the Indian Ocean seabed for more than three months without a trace of the missing plane, and the Malaysian government says there are no plans for new searches, the BBC reports. Malaysia’s new transport minister, Anthony Loke, recently said he wants to give up the search for the plane and seek “closure,” though new deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim has said further searches are a possibility if new findings arise from a fresh look at Malaysian information on the Boeing 777, which vanished on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board, the Guardian reports.
Families of the missing passengers and crew members say they feel betrayed by the apparent end of the search—especially since Ocean Infinity was searching for the aircraft on a “no-find, no-fee” basis and had offered to continue the search next year as long as Malaysia promised to pay up to $70 million if it found the aircraft. Ocean Infinity chief executive Oliver Plunkett says the company has searched more than 43,000 square miles of ocean floor and he hopes they are able to continue someday, the AP reports. “Whilst clearly the outcome so far is extremely disappointing, as a company, we are truly proud of what we have achieved both in terms of the quality of data we’ve produced and the speed with which we covered such a vast area,” he says. (In their final report last year, Australian investigators said the mystery was “almost inconceivable.”